Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Request Heard Around The Store

I was getting my usual Saturday morning bagel and decided to try Russ & Daughters adjacent to my apartment.  Russ & Daughters is a famous, well known Jewish Deli on the Lower East Side. Their bagels are regarded as some of the best bagels in the city so naturally as a girl who use to have a bagel a day for years, I had to see what the hype was about.  I get to the counter and place my order: a double toasted cinnamon raisin bagel with plain cream cheese. The deli worker looks at me as if I have two heads, and I'm wearing a clown costume. He says "DOUBLE toasted, what's double toasted??"  Nonchalantly I say, "You know toasted twice, well done."  No response back.  A deli worker walks up and then another all discussing my preposterous request.  They all look at me in bewilderment as I look for the exit sign.  Finally the clerk informs me that they don't toast at Russ and Daughters.  My Jewish roommate later tells me that Jewish people and pretty much everyone in general do not toast their bagels.  As one who always goes against the grain, I ran up to my apartment and toasted that bagel until it was good and brown. Needless to say Russ and Daughters now gives their customers the option to toast.  Take that Russ & Daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment