Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

What We All Wore


The Blog That Started It All
"What should I wear today?" It's the hardest part of my morning-well besides actually getting out of bed as snooze has become my best friend.  The problem is that I am a mood based dresser so one day I can be dressed to the nines in heels and a blazer and the next I can be in boyfriend jeans and a cotton tee.  One person who seems to get it right day in and day out is Jessica Quirk of the addictive, style blog What I Wore (http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/). 

I recently discovered the blog during my Indiana University alumni meeting and have been a fan ever since.  When I learned Jessica would be in town to promote her recent jump from blog to book (her site lead to her first style tome), I wanted to go show support and of course see what she wore!

Before heading over to the book launch party, my friend Lauren and I decided to have our own What I Wore moment.  With the perfect backdrop of every fashion magazine and issue known to man, we used the blog as inspiration for our impromptu photo shoot.

WhatWeWore:


Lauren:
Top: Pitaya
Skirt: Forever 21
Belt: Urban Outfitters
Bag: Brandy Melville
Watch: Michael Kors
Shoes: Steve Madden



Natalia:
Top: Urban Outfitters
Dress: Necessary Clothing (worn as skirt)
Necklace: Urban Outfitters
Bracelets: Michael Kors gold bangle, Italian navy bangle
Necklace: Urban Outfitters
Ring: Custom creation by D'Art Jewelry Store in Chicago
Shoes: Fossil

Perfectly styled, we headed to the book shindig.  The location was the Soho boutique of one of the Big Apple's most influential, celebrated designers Donna Karan at her DKNY store.  Upon entering, we made a beeline to the table of books to check out Jessica's handiwork.  Okay-that was our intention until we got sidelined by some adult refreshments.  With some bubbly in hand, we made a beeline for the book stand.  Being the visual person I am, the illustrations every few pages grabbed my attention. The Quirk-y drawings of stylish outfits (ones I actually covet) with vivid colors sealed the deal.  I quickly purchased the book and got in line to congratulate the author. 

Party Central

On Display

Said Bubbly from Above
Our discussion quickly turned from Indiana University (all three of our Alma Maters) to John Mellencamp (Indiana resident) to Helen Mirren.  Yes, the Queen herself, happened to be shopping in the store during Jessica's book party.  I think she secretly came to purchase the book but was too camera shy to get an autograph. 

What We Wore
After our girl talk, I did a little buzzed shopping and ended up buying the cutest floral shorts this side of 14th Street.  As I left the store with book and shopping bag in hand, I realized the most important question had slipped my mind.  I never asked Jessica, "What are you wearing?"  Seems like that question stumps me no matter what time of day it is.

Places of Interest:
DKNY, 420 West Broadway, 646-613-1100

No comments:

Post a Comment